Re: Help for a first time user...

Subject: Re: Help for a first time user...
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 21:26:14 MST

On 11/14/00 at 8:11 PM, pete@surfaceeffect.com (Peter M. Bagnall) wrote:
::snip::

> >2. Web, FTP, Mail, & Web Mail services.
> >*I currently use WebCrossing to handle email and web mail as well as some
> >discussion forums (which may or may not last). I know there is a Linux
> >version available. Will it work on YDL? Is there another FREE solution to
> >mail and web mail that works well? I know Apache can handle Web and FTP
> >without trouble.
Web Crossing works on YDL. I'm starting to mess with it myself.

> Apache rocks for HTTP. It does not do FTP AFAIK, but there is an FTP server
> as part of YellowDog.
Read
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/errata_cs11.shtml#ftpd
for more on this.

> >3. AppleTalk services, both IP and AppleTalk based.
> >* This is a must as I have many Mac clients and the 30GB HD has many files
> >that need to be easily accessible from the local LAN and the internet.
>
> Netatalk, also a standard part of YellowDog.
This works great as a file server. The print server is another story...

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."