Re: Help for a first time user...

Subject: Re: Help for a first time user...
From: Robert Vogt IV (vogt@arborhost.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 06:43:40 MST

    Geoffrey,

> Again, easy and there are lots of great free options. wu-ftp is my FTP
> server of choice. I'm pretty new to yellowdog, but since RedHat 6.2 is the
> reference distro for the current version of yellowdog, I would guess it
> uses the same. Check out http://www.wu-ftpd.org/wu-ftpd-faq.html for
> details.
    Wu-ftpd is absolutely the _WORST_ ftp server ever created.
Additionally, the configuration is awkward, and you have to put copies of
'ls' and other important system commands within each user's directory...

    I strongly recommend Proftpd. Its very powerful, uses Apache-style
config, and has never had a problem (we run a web hosting company...).

>> 3. AppleTalk services, both IP and AppleTalk based.
>> € This is a must as I have many Mac clients and the 30GB HD has many
>> files
>> that need to be easily accessible from the local LAN and the internet.
>
> Netatalk.
>
> http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/
    This is old. Try rsug.itd.umich.edu.

                            -Robert Vogt IV