Re: OT: Supporting Office 2000 with YDL/Samba...

Subject: Re: OT: Supporting Office 2000 with YDL/Samba...
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 21:19:55 MST

Jeff Ross wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I'm going to be installing YDL on a server for a company here in town.

> My question concerns Office 2000 and specifically for configuring
> inter-office e-mail. I don't want to use Exchange, and in the past I've
> been able to use Microsoft Mail (although it has some, umm, interesting
> quirks, like never actually deleting deleted messages). I wonder if anyone
> can answer the following: Is there an Open Source equivalent to MS
> Exchange?
First let me say I'm in no way familiar with what MS exchange purports
to be, or actually is.

>Or, can I use a regular e-mail server like qmail to handle inter
> office mail? Are there any good docs out there about using Office under
> Linux, or even a good system admin level book for the Office suite.
> Microsoft's own books seem to be mostly geared toward the end user and not
> toward the administrator.

There is certainly no reason why you can't use qmail or procmail to
handle any of your mail concerns. Not sure what you mean about using
Office under linux, but I'll through in my two bits worth anyway. You
can do things like copy the install cd to a samba share so it can be
easily accessed for install purposes, or easily accessed for graphics
libs etc. If you mean to actually run the office program from a samba
share then it things would begin to get messy.

> I'd be interested in persuing an e-mail conversation from folks that have
> gone before, probably off the list unless there is a general need for such
> knowledge.

Here's a few good qmail info sites:

The main qmail page: http://qmail.presys.com/top.html
The qmail man pages: http://vader.kootenay.net/qmail/
A qmail howto: http://www.i2k.net/~dougvw/mailqueue.html
Another howto: http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#install-ucspi
Qmail Install Guide: http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/OS/Qmail.html
Virtual Domain Stuff: http://www.inter7.com/qmail/

That should get you started.

--
"Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of