kernels, modules, and appletalk

Subject: kernels, modules, and appletalk
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 02:37:21 MST

hopefully this is interesting to a few other people out there as well. .
. . .

I'm running a 2.4.0-test10 kernel I got from direct from yellowdog
support (thanks charles :). I've watched the bootup, read the
/var/log/dmesg, and it doesn't mention AppleTalk. When I start
appletalk

#> /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

afpd starts but atalkd doesn't. (afpd runs well; I can
IP-AppleShare-network together Mac-On-Linux and my $HOME directory.) I
think I need atalkd in order to print to my old HP 520 DeskWriter. . . .

when i try starting atalkd directly

$> /usr/sbin/atalkd

it spits back

socket: Address family not supported by protocol
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting

This sounds, to my newbie eyes anyway, like I need to get AppleTalk,
either into the kernel or as a module. (But perhaps I'm missing
something obvious?)

I got the 2.4.0-test10 source with an rsync from linux-pmac-devel at
ppc.linuxcare.com. I made a kernel with make menuconfig, make dep, make
clean and

make vmlinux <- is this correct!? zImage didn't work. . . .)

and ran make modules, but no modules directory appeared in my
/usr/src/linux directory. Now what? I could run make modules_install
but i don't know what to back up in case I unwittingly trash MOL, which
is the only way I can print at the moment.

Or maybe I should wait for the new netatalk to come out. But helplessly
waiting for an update feels very non-linux. :)

peace

philippe

--

# # # #