Re: kernels, modules, and appletalk

Subject: Re: kernels, modules, and appletalk
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 00:01:27 MST

Iain Stevenson wrote:

> Philippe,
>
> Have you tried enabling appletalk support under 'Network device
> Support>Appletalk devices' in the kernel config?
>
> I also have some software than needs 'Packet socket' support compiled in.
> You may have a similar sort of problem where some program or other expects
> to find these extra network functions built in to the kernel.
>
> FYI, in the past I found that one of the Yellow Dog kernels (CS1.2) wouldn't
> build with the support I needed whereas the standard kernel would.
>
> Iain

thanks Iain; your advice is much appreciated. The appletalk module,
which was there all the time, in
/usr/lib/modules/2.4.0-test10/kernel/net/appletalk/appletalk.o, was not
getting loaded by the command

/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

but it *did* get loaded (d0h!) by

/sbin/insmod appletalk

I put that command into the file at /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk, which gets
executed at every boot, and voilą! afpd and atalkd working from the
start. The YDL June 2000 archive had at least one thread on exactly the
same error message; those posts put me on the right track. Imagine
mounting a 3-gig linux partition on a Mac SE/30! Netatalk is cool.

pax

philippe

--

# # # #