Re: Resolution and bit depth

Subject: Re: Resolution and bit depth
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 01:16:03 MST

Zach Marano wrote:

> I tried this but it didn't work in X. It works in the command line (or
> whatever you call it) but not in X. If I switch the res in Xconfigurator to
> anything above 8bit color the X Server won't startup. And, I can't get it to
> display above a 60Hz refresh rate in X either. Anyone know how to do this?

er . . . I'm not tracking. Perhaps I misunderstand. The command
append="videoaty128 etc. is not issued on the command line (or console,
or terminal) but is saved into the file yaboot.conf, beneath the other
lines; together these control the kernel. On the other hand the command

startx -- -bpp 24 (X 3.3.6)

or the command

startx -- -depth 24 (X 4.01)

are issued from the command line, or console, or terminal, as they start
X Window with 24-bit color--*if* the file in /etc/XF86Config has been
configured to support 24-bit color, and *if* your video card supports it
as well.

pax

philippe

--