Modem Troubles On A PCI Machine

Subject: Modem Troubles On A PCI Machine
From: Joe Granville (creature@teleport.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 18:01:07 MST

Hi... I've been working with my new copy of YDL for a little more than
two weeks straight now, and I can't get any modem connection. At first,
I assumed this was due to the much publicized problem between the
internal modem of 6500 Power Macs and standard modem protocols. So, I
bought a used PC modem and the proper new cables.
Still, I can get no connection. I have tried /dev/ttya0, ttyb0, cua0,
ttyS0, and several others, since the errors I get seem to indicate not
being able to find the modem... I've tried every connection program I
can find on the default install, from mincom to Gnome PPP. Still no
luck.
Could some one walk me through this, or at least enlighten me as to how
a serial-based Mac's ports are mapped out? And, if someone knows where I
can find a MacOS OpenFirmware interface I've read so much about in the
help files, I'd be obliged.
~Joe Granville