Re: boot chime...

Subject: Re: boot chime...
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 15:56:09 MST

Jonathan Bertsch wrote:

> Is there any way, for us yaboot people, to adjust the volume of the boot
> chime? I remember that under the Mac OS, the speaker volume was also the
> volume for the chime on the next boot, but changing the open firmware
> setting to boot yaboot seems to reset the volume... not thats its really
> loud, just too loud for booting in a quite university library...

The traditional solution for loudly booting computers can be found at your
local hardware store. Its a 1/8 inch diameter nylon or other plastic
bolt. Be sure it's plastic because you're going to insert it in the
headphone jack on your computer. This should silence the internal
speakers, provided the headphone jack is wired in the usual way.

Don't do this with a steel bolt. A steel bolt will short out the mac's
amplifier and possibly burn it out and maybe take your motherboard or power
supply with it.

Enjoy the silence.

-Pat