Re: DSL Configuration

Subject: Re: DSL Configuration
From: John L Grantham (john@grantham.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 04:54:54 MST

At 2:21 am +0100 19/11/00, Fernando Corvinos wrote:
> This one is easy ........How can I setup my system to use my DSL account.

Hi Fernando,

It looks like no one has fully answered your question yet, so I hope
this helps. If you are with Deutsche Telekom and are using T-DSL (as
I gather you are), you need to get a PPPoE client. There is an
excellent one from Roaring Penguin (www.roaringpenguin.com) called
rp-pppoe. You should get the latest PPC binary version, which is 1.9
currently.

Installation is very easy. Install the RPM (rpm -Uvh
rp-pppoe.ppc.rpm), then type in "adsl-setup" as root. You will be
asked for the login name, password and so on.

Important: your user name is your Telekom number (Anschlusskennung) +
User number (like "0001") + @t-online.de (written together). In other
words, it is just like for a normal dialup login with T-Online, but
you need to add "@t-online.de" to the end. Your password is the same
as otherwise.

You can also have rp-pppoe set a simple firewall script
automatically, but you need to have ipchains installed and have your
kernel set up for firewall to make use of that feature. (I strongly
recommend firewalling your machine for security reasons.) Check out
the firewall and ipchains HOWTOs in /usr/doc or at the Linux
Documentation Project for more.

Once you get rp-pppoe set up, type in "adsl-start" to start the
connection and "adsl-stop" to stop it. Be sure to type in "tail -f
/var/log/messages" to see what's happening if you have trouble.

While I have not tried rp-pppoe with YDL yet, it works great with
LinuxPPC and SuSE 6.4, so I can't imagine you having trouble with YDL.

btw If you happen to change to Arcor for DSL (which I did recently --
I got majorly unhappy with Telekom) you can use rp-pppoe with them,
too.

HTH

John

--