Mysterious Network Traffic

Subject: Mysterious Network Traffic
From: Bob Wynne (rdw@plaza.ds.adp.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 10:52:20 MST

Hello,

I have an 8500 with YD 1.2.1 loaded. I boot into runlevel 3, log in, and
everything's fine. As soon as I fire up X and Gnome, the DSL modem lights
start flashing and don't stop until I logout of Gnome.

The DSL is on another Mac running IPNetRouter as a router and firewall. I
do have port 80 mapped to the YD machine, but since Apache is active whether
I'm in Gnome or not I don't see how the traffic can be web server activity.

How do I figure out what is going on? Is there a tool I can use to figure
out what process is responsible for this internet activity? Can I find out
where these packets are going?

- Bob

Robert Wynne
Software Engineer