PHP 4.0.3pl1 Failing Configure

Subject: PHP 4.0.3pl1 Failing Configure
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 14:55:26 MST

I've been trying for 3 days to get PHP-4.0.3pl1 to install on a B&W G3
running ChampionServer1.2. After uncompressing the source and doing a
'./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs' it appears to
configure, but when I look at the config.log file I see lines like this
throughout the file:

configure:1824: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:1833: gcc -E conftest.c
cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
configure:1905: gcc -E conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
configure: failed program was:
#line 1899 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <assert.h>
Syntax Error

If I try to 'make' anyways, Apache fails to start and I get errors like
this in /var/log/httpd/error_log :

PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - define in
Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - defined in
Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - each in
Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - strlen in
Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - strcmp in
Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - strcasecmp
in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name -
error_reporting in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name - leak in
Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Function registration failed - duplicate name -
function_exists in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Basi: Unable to register functions, unable to load in
Unknown on line 0

I thought that maybe the problem was with apxs or mysql so I left them
off of the ./configure and got the same errors.

What makes this really odd is that my workstation is a PowerMac 7500/100
running ChampionServer1.2 and php installed easily. Both machines are
running the same versions of CS, the same kernel, same Apache and
Apache-devel, same glibc; as far as I can tell, both machines are
configured the same.

I'm really at a loss as what to try next.

Can anyone help?

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC