Re: KDE2

Subject: Re: KDE2
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 22:03:14 MST

Ok, this is weird.
having given up on building XFree84-4x, i reinstalled XFree86-3.whatever from
the 1.2 CD.
Now Gnome is working again (yay!). So at least X is more or less healthy.
However, KDE2, installed from the RPM's at http://www.msoe.edu/~geiseri/kde2/,
started, said it was starting up, displayed the little help wizard screen, then
returned me to a blank screen with no control - no ctrl-atl-delete, even.
(though I do have cursor).
I telnetted in from another machine and did ps -ax; a process called ksmserver
was running (on tty1) so I killed that, and my console came back.
Anyone have any clues what's going on here? I get the sense I'm that close to
getting this to work...

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."