Re: lib and X problems

Subject: Re: lib and X problems
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 18:41:28 MST

Ole Kristoffer Apeland wrote:

> Hi im a newbee who recently installed YDL 1.2.1, and im experiencing some
> difficulties.
> First of all, could anyone tell me where to get hold of libz.so.1 I have
> tried to do a install of all the *lib* rpms -but whitout any luck......
>
> Secondly X will not start. I get this error message that it does not
> support vmode 246, and that somethig has been misallocated in my rage128
> videoboard(and that libz.so.1 is missing). This happens all the time
> despite all my attempts to use XFConfigurator (and or manually configure
> the XConfig).
>
> Ole K. Apeland (oleap@student.matnat.uio.no)

The first place to start when you want to know where to find something like
xxx.so.something
is http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

This will lead you to zlib-1.1.3-2.ppc.rpm

On my system, the command:

    rpm -q --whatprovides libz.so.1

returns:

zlib-1.1.3-6

I don't know what would happen if I did not have zlib-1.1.3-6 installed.

if the command
    rpm -q zlib
returns:
    package zlib is not installed

you can install it from the cd:

rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/zlib-1.1.3-6.ppc.rpm

-Pat