8500/150 and YDL

Subject: 8500/150 and YDL
From: Adrian Madrid (aemadrid@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 20:13:19 MST

I'm new to the list, Linux on a PPC and Macs in
general. I just bought a 8500/150 (w/printer and
everything) with the intention to convert it into a
Linux box. I have a ton of questions I hope some of
you guys can help me out with. Thanks in advance.

* First and principal, I can't make the YDL CD's boot.
  I got the latest YDL cd's from cheapbytes and
followed the instructions from the YDL website:
restart the machine with the CD in and the 'C' key
pressed until it boots from the CD but it never
happened. It just booted as normal into OS 9.

* 2nd, any comments on the 8500/150 will be
apreciated. How will you compare it to an intel box
(386/486/P/etc)? It has a 2gb hd and 80mb of ram.
Anbody succesful in using the video ins/outs with
linux? How about sound?

* 3rd, what window managers/enviroments are available
(kde, gnome, wm, e, sawfish, etc.)? Games?

* 4th, I got a Personal Laserwriter 300 with the
machine. In OS 9 it was darn slow to print a single
page. Does it get any faster in YDL? It looked like
the worst part was creating the image file in the OS,
after that the printer was allright.

Thanks for all your help people. I cant wait to get
this baby going!

Adrian Madrid