Re: 8500/150 and YDL

Subject: Re: 8500/150 and YDL
From: Adrian Madrid (aemadrid@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 21:20:05 MST

Thanks for answering so soon. Is good to know it's a
worthy cause ;-)

--- Robert Vogt IV <robert@arborhost.com> wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> > * First and principal, I can't make the YDL CD's
> boot.
> Try installing "BootX" off the CD, and copy
> ramdisk.image.gz and
> vmlinux to the System Folder, then reboot and follow
> the install
> instructions...

I couldn't run the bootx*.sea file but I unzipped the
.sit to the system folder and copy those two files to
the sys folder (root) too. I tried booting then and it
booted as OS 9 again. Nevertheles, I got into
sysfolder/bootx and ran bootx and it worked. I clicked
on Linux and started the install. Is that allright or
do I need to boot on the install program?

It looks like it's going to work, though. I followed
the steps until it asked for partitions and there's
where I need to learn more. It says I need to use
fdisk (which I'm not very familiar with). I'll have to
figure out partitions and stuff (2gb drive, I don't
want to keep the OS 9 partitions). If anybody can
suggest partition schemes.

> > * 2nd, any comments on the 8500/150 will be
> I've got a 7500/100 here doing a GREAT job as a
> server - its about
> 4 times as fast (serving-wise) as a 200MHz Pentium
> Pro someone else has...

Is that a Pentium Linux box serving or a M$ box?

> > * 3rd, what window managers/enviroments are
> All you listed, I believe, but you can always
> compile others...

Cool.

> > * 4th, I got a Personal Laserwriter 300 with the
> Probably...linux does most everything faster, since
> there is less
> system overhead... Of course, you might not be able
> to do as much
> (watermarking, etc...).

No problem with that, I just need it to print papers,
resumes, the works (my deskjet is M$ only :-(

Thanks again for all the info. I'll try installing it.

Adrian