Re: A good reference beginner Linux Book (Please ADVICE)

Subject: Re: A good reference beginner Linux Book (Please ADVICE)
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 07:11:24 MST

Oh, that life was that simple! Linux Complete isn't that bad as far as it
goes. You will almost certainly end up with a long bookshelf!

Linux in a Nutshell isn't much more than a command reference and I haven't
used it much - "man <topic>" is often as effective.

You're probably well advised to adopt an incremental purchasing strategy as
you progress with installation. I found I needed:

- an XWindows reference - but I hesitate to recommend the one I have
- the O'Reilly books on Bind/DNS, Samba and Sendmail
- a LDAP reference (but don't worry about this as a beginner)

For most other things (eg fetcmail, Apache, squid, hylafax, diald) a
combination of the documentation shipping with them and the mailing list
archives have been adequate.

  Iain