Re: Zope on YDL?

Subject: Re: Zope on YDL?
From: Simon Coles (simon@nipltd.com)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 09:39:26 MST

>I know we used to run Zope on www.ibooklinux.net, and it was huge, and the
>folks at Yellowdog felt it was responsible for taking down their server
>;^).

That's a surprise - we run a number of Zope instances on the same
(not particularly powerful) server and its pretty lightweight
compared to alternatives.

> We now use Nope, a lightweight rewrite I did in PHP/MySQL -
>nope.sourceforge.net. Our database on ibooklinux with Zope got to 10GB
>for no good reason,

That's because the Zope database never overwrites data, it appends
any changes to the end of the datafile. Its optimised for many more
reads than writes, and to give you unlimited undo (very useful for
content management). You can pack the database to get rid of prior
versions of things.

>with Nope it's about 400K for the gzipped MySQL dump
>file of the whole site, about 500 articles.

yeah, that's no surprise. If we have rapidly changing content, we put
it into MySQL.

> > I just read about Zope in the November Linux magazine. It sounded promising
>> so I checked out www.zope.org but I found no references to PPC versions of
>> Linux. I was sorta hoping for an RPM, but downloaded source.
>>
>> Is anybody out there using Zope on YDL? Know of any other online resources I
>> could go to for info on that? Are there any plans to include Zope on YDL
>> distributions in the future? This probably isn't a YDL General topic, and
>> I'll be glad to take it elsewhere once I know where the appropriate
> > "elsewhere" is.

I had a YDL machine before I put MacOS X on that partition :-(.

There's not much C code in Zope, its mainly Python. Try the SRPM as
mentioned by Bryan Stillwell and if you still have problems I suggest
you ask on the Zope mailing list - they're pretty helpful. If that
still doesn't give a result drop me a mail and I'll see if I can put
YDL back on a Mac somewhere.

BTW, if you want to experiment with Zope, we provide a Zope instance
you can get an account on - see http://www.nipltd.com/ and look for
"FreeZope".

Simon

--