Re: A good reference beginner Linux Book (Please ADVICE)

Subject: Re: A good reference beginner Linux Book (Please ADVICE)
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 13:29:09 MST

Pablo Fernandez wrote:

> Hi Linux users,
>
> I am wonderign which Linux Book could be the best
> choice for me? Since I have little experience with
> this new OS.
>
> I have been thinking in this options,
>
> * Running Linux
> * Linux in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly Nutshell)
>
> I would like to hear comments and other options. I
> have recently bought Linux Complete from Sybex... It
> lacks of many important information : (
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Pablo

I have both of these and they are quite useful reference books. I've
found that no linux book by itself is really comprehensive on every
topic. Much of what is published is actually reprints of publicly
available documents on the net. Quite a bit is not very well written.
There's not too much overall organization to any of it, mainly because
of the way Linux was developed over time. We're not talking about the
works of just a few people here. Linux and its associated utilities and
programs have had many

As you explore, you'll find quite a few other people in your same boat.
There are people who will answer specific questions, but knowing what
question to ask is frequently difficult especially for beginners.

The standard answer you may get to any question you might ask is "read
____"

Be prepared to read a lot of stuff you may not quite understand at
first. If you don't understand all of it its ok, just try to remember
the kind of answers you find in the document and where you got it from.

Read enough of to know where it is and how to find it again when you
need the specific kind of answers you find there.

Its a good idea to keep a journal of what you try and notes about stuff
in a notebook or binder.

 I suggest you check out "basic linux training"

http://basiclinux.hypermart.net/

Good Luck...

-Pat