Re: Building KDE2 Current Status

Subject: Re: Building KDE2 Current Status
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 18:37:37 MST

Sam Moore wrote:

> Hey Patrick - how are you doing with this?
> I've built qt and some of kde, but had to rerun make on a number of occasions.
> The weirdest thing is that somehow I just broke my compiler. When configuring
> kdeutils, the configure script complained that the C++ compiler could not create
> executables! This is after a full day of compiling stuff more or less
> successfully yesterday.
> I just reinstalled all the gcc stuff from the CD (glad I bought one!) and now
> it's back in order, but I can't figure out what happened.
> KDE is sorta working, but Konqueror crashes when run by anyone other than root -
> will check permissions after I get some of these lesser packages installed.
> How's it going for you?

Did you run out of disk space?

Well I've got most of it built, and I'm up and running. Not sure what is NOT
working yet. Doc seems not to have gotten installed althought it was in the list of
things to build At some point I'm going to tear it all down and kick off a rebuild
with a better log, but for now I'm going to try to identify some aspect of each of
the built packages and verify that it is working

qt is assumed to be working because I can build kde2 and run it
kdecore is assumed to be working because I can start kde2
kde network is assumed to be complete because kppp is working
konqueror is working
koffice is working but not all that well. I have created a kword document but it
crashed out when I tried to put a numbered list in. then I built a new document
containing a numbered list :

1. this is one
2. this is two
3. this is three

and saved it as a .html file

konqueror opened the file but it displayed as:

a bullet followed by

1. this is three

hmm. not too impressive...

Am I expecting too much? Am I misusing koffice?

Anyway to get kde working after the install you need to do some stuff detailed on:
http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html

For YDL CS 1.2.1 two files need to be modified, two files and a soft link need to
be added. I'm not yet familiar with creating a patch, so if as you do this you can
demonstrate the commands to create and use a patch for them I'll integrate that
into what I publish. Neil Jolly has kindly offered space on his site for this.

What I want to put there is a complete script for obtaining and building kde2 from
sources, along with as complete an explanation as we can muster of all the
differences between the original kde sources and the ones that work for ydl.

/usr/share/config/kdmrc needs to have kde2 added as a session type

    the line that formerly read
            SessionTypes=kde;gnome;anotherlevel;default;failsafe;
    now reads
            SessionTypes=kde;kde2;gnome;anotherlevel;default;failsafe;

/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession needs a new section in its case statement

    after the lines containing

      kde)
        exec startkde
         ;;

      add:

      kde2)
        source /usr/local/bin/kde2 # this enables using kde2 with kde1.x
        exec startkde
        ;;

These files need to be added. It sets the environment for kde2

cat > /usr/local/bin/kde2 <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde2 # should reflect where you installed kde
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.1.1 # should reflect where you installed qt-2.1.1
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib
EOF

Without the following file, kde2 can't be started.

cat > /etc/sysconfig/desktop <<EOF
KDE
EOF

to get kppp to work again I had to create this link:

ln -s /dev/cua0 /dev/modem

KDE2 can also be started under kde1 as just another desktop.