Re: Apache and permissions

Subject: Re: Apache and permissions
chris@music.mcgill.ca
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 22:07:02 MST

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Zach Marano wrote:
>I was going to ask the same question? Is it "nobody"?
>
>> From: Philip Good <phil@go2taichi.com>
>> Who is the owner and what are the permissions for the
>>
>> /home/httpd/html directory and the files in this directory?

 The owner can be anybody (often it is root). In most instances, the web
server runs as an unprivilidged user (often 'nobody' or 'www' - 'www' is a
better choice). The server doesn't need to have write permissions to serve
web pages, but must have read access. Therefore, the pages should be
world readable. So the permission should be 755 on the folder 'html' and
644 on any non-executable files. This should allow your web server todish
out the pages regardless of what user it runs as.

Cheers,

Chris