USB mouse on oldworld machine

Subject: USB mouse on oldworld machine
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 09:17:28 MST

Posted to linuxppc-user, no response.

Since I actually have YDL, thought I'd try here!

Using PowerTowerPro and bk-2.2.18pre23 (barely bootable for unrelated
reasons, but I've created some boot voodoo for the time being).

OrangeLink Firewire/USB card, ADB keyboard, Logitech 2-button optical
wheel mouse. In the console (where you can move the mouse cursor
around) and in X, the ADB mouse still works (not sure this is a good
thing), but the usbmouse will move only every once in a long while
(seemingly only when there is stray disk activity), and no response
from the buttons at all. IOW, the usb mouse is non-functional.

I've studied
<http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html>, and here is
what I've done:

1. Compile:

#
# USB Devices
#
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y

CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y

#
# Mac device drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
CONFIG_MAC_HID=y
CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y

(I've tried ADBKEYCODES and EMUMOUSEBTN on and off, same result).

2. Create input layer: installed dev-2.7.18-3b.ppc.rpm, made sure
that /dev/mouse and /dev/usbmouse are both symlinked to
/dev/input/mice.

3. Ran mouseconfig and selected all (different attempts) the USB
mouse selections. Verified that XF86Config protocol was changed to
IMPS/2. As is /etc/sysconfig/mouse.

I note the franzo page quoted above is hopelessly outdated for the
bk-2.2.18pre23 kernel I'm using. I can't tell how much to trust it,
so I have no way to know if I've done something wrong. Or left
something out. I also noted that even though I'm still using the ADB
keyboard, if CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV is not on (USB section), I get no
response from the keyboard.

Here is some relevant dmesg output (irrelevant parts stripped):

input0: Macintosh mouse button emulation
ADB keyboard at 2, handler 1
Detected ADB keyboard, type ANSI.
input1: ADB HID on ID 2:2.02
ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 2
input2: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
usb.c: registered new driver hid
keybdev.c: Adding keyboard: input1
mouse0: PS/2 mouse device for input2
mouse1: PS/2 mouse device for input0
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xd0184000, IRQ 23
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 3
mouse2: PS/2 mouse device for input3
input3: USB HID v10.01 Mouse [Logitech USB Mouse] on usb1:3.0

Any help, please? Anybody using this particular Logitech mouse that
can clue me in?

*** Is anybody doing USB on oldworld macs??? ***

Stefan Jeglinski