DUMP backups to tape

Subject: DUMP backups to tape
From: Bryn Hughes (bryn@ultranet.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 10:52:33 MST

I am configuring my YD box to do backups to a DLT drive directly connected
to the SCSI chain of the server. I'm not totally sure if I have my scripts
set up right. Basically I have about 4 partitions I want to do incremental
backups of each night, but I'm not sure exactly how I should be writing my
scripts to do this. Currently, this is what I have:

#!/bin/bash
# Level 1 backup script

/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk stop
/sbin/dump -1unaL ROOT -f /dev/nst0 /
/sbin/dump -1unaL USR -f /dev/nst0 /usr
/sbin/dump -1unaL ICS -f /dev/nst0 /vol/ICS
/sbin/dump -1unaL VOL0 /vol
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

With the appropriate dump level for each day of the incremental backup. The
part I'm not sure about is 'stacking' dump commands like this. From what I
can tell, this SHOULD record the ROOT, USR and ICS partitions to tape
without rewinding it, then record the VOL partition and rewind the tape. Is
this correct? It seems to work to me, there's no pause between volumes for
the tape to rewind or anything like that (there is if I just write to
/dev/st0 instead of /dev/nst0).

Secondly, how do I only restore the specific partition I want? Apparently
I'm supposed to be able to search for the labels I've set, but I can't find
any documentation on how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Bryn