Mildly OT> IP Masquerading on my server

Subject: Mildly OT> IP Masquerading on my server
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 11:34:51 MST

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient ways to setup our
network, which now includes the G4 Mac running Yellow Dog Linux. This
is a little complicated so I'll try and be clear...

We have a small network of about 8 machines, connected to the
internet via a cable modem. Most of the "normal" Macs are on a
192.168.0.x internal network that accesses the internet through a
gateway Mac running IPNetRouter. The gateway machine also has an
externally visible IP address on the 207.152.10.x network. So does
the new G4 server. However, the G4 server doesn't have a 192.168.0.x
address, so accessing it through ftp is much slower and more
cumbersome than over the LAN, even though it's on the same physical
network.

Do I need to configure IP masquerading on the G4 too? What's the best
way to efficiently connect to this machine? So far, I haven't been
able to get Netatalk to work, and have been using ftp and telnet when
not working directly on the server.

Thanks in advance for all tips and hints. :-)

Gawain