Re: Mildly OT> IP Masquerading on my server

Subject: Re: Mildly OT> IP Masquerading on my server
From: Andrew Dacey (frugal@tildefrugal.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 11:46:21 MST

Gawain Reifsnyder wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out the most efficient ways to setup our
> network, which now includes the G4 Mac running Yellow Dog Linux. This
> is a little complicated so I'll try and be clear...
>
> We have a small network of about 8 machines, connected to the
> internet via a cable modem. Most of the "normal" Macs are on a
> 192.168.0.x internal network that accesses the internet through a
> gateway Mac running IPNetRouter. The gateway machine also has an
> externally visible IP address on the 207.152.10.x network. So does
> the new G4 server. However, the G4 server doesn't have a 192.168.0.x
> address, so accessing it through ftp is much slower and more
> cumbersome than over the LAN, even though it's on the same physical
> network.
>
> Do I need to configure IP masquerading on the G4 too? What's the best
> way to efficiently connect to this machine? So far, I haven't been
> able to get Netatalk to work, and have been using ftp and telnet when
> not working directly on the server.

If I understand things correctly, all the machines are hooked up into
the same hub or switch? It sounds to me like you're using a switched
network with VLANs on a single switch. The gateway cable modem and G4
are on one VLAN and the other VLAN has the internal network. The gateway
machine would have it's port on the switch configured to be on both VLANs.

If memory serves, you can configure an interface to have more than one
IP address in Linux. I can't remember how you do it though. What you
would do would be to add a 192.168.0.x address to the G4 server's. If
you are using a switched situation as I outlined above, then you'd also
need to configure the switch so that the G4's port is part of both VLANs.

I'm not sure how you'd do the setup with a single hub. As far as I know,
you can't have multiple network segments on a single hub. If you are
using multiple hubs, then all traffic would have to go through the
gateway (which would have multiple network cards). You could then
install a 2nd network card in the G4 and have it connected to both networks.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@tildefrugal.net