Re: Mildly OT> IP Masquerading on my server

Subject: Re: Mildly OT> IP Masquerading on my server
From: Richard Massa (int19@hydra.acs.uci.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 13:18:40 MST

You'll be fine doing it this way... ifconfig eth0:0 will create a virtual
ethernet interface that you can assign additional IP information to. So
it supplements what is already there. If you were to do an ifconfig after
configuring the aliased interface, you would see three devices: eth0,
eth0:0, and lo (local loopback), each with its own IP information.

if at any time you want to get rid of the aliased interface, just:

# ifconfig eth0:0 down

also, you'll want to put the command that I sent you in the previous
message in the startup scripts somewhere... So when you reboot the
machine, the configuration stays.

I use the same scheme and I just throw it in my rc.local for convenience
sake.

richard.