Re: ATI Rage 128 issues?

Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 issues?
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 19:01:30 MST

Jonathan Simms wrote:

> Are there any known issues with a B&W G3-350 with a ATI Rage 128 pci card?
>
> I can't get Xwindows to open for the life of me...
>
> I was missing "libXmu.so.6" and then I downloaded an RPM that was supposed
> to install that file and after I ran Xconfigurator, rebooted, and startx-ed
> all I got was a blue screen and gobeldy-gook.
>
> HELP!!!
>
> i'm a brand-newbie. I need help!!!

Where did you install from?

Got one of those, mine's a rev1. Don't know what the difference is hardware
or software wise, but there was at one point a difference in the kernels
needed between rev1 and rev2. This applied in 2.2.6 and 2.2.10. My guess is
that at some point later kernels in distros handled the differences without
the need for separate kernels.

first, you should detail how you got to where you are today. What did you
install. What configuration options related to X have you modified, tried to
modify, trashed or otherwised changed.

Nobody's done this to my knowledge, but perhaps someone should:

List the servers available and the distributions and downloads they come from
List the files and entries each server uses to get configured properly.
List any changes needed for various common hardware options.

There is a site dedicated to x on ppc run by neil jolly.
http://members.home.com/njolly/xppc/index.htm