Re: X server-Telnet

Subject: Re: X server-Telnet
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 19:36:16 MST

Did you do this part?
> Now we need to allow the
> remote system to access our
> display. To do this we will use
> the "xhost" program.
>
> xhost
> +remotesytemsipaddress
This is done in a console on your own system, not while telnetted into the
remote system.

After the "export DISPLAY"
On 11/27/00 at 5:10 PM, corvinos@stanford.edu (Fernando Q. Corvinos) wrote:

> Hello I must be some stupid.I made telnet on the remote machine and then
> DISPLAY=my ip adreess:0
> export DISPLAY
> But it does not work.

Did you get an error message? Or just nothing?

After doing this, you should be able to run some X application from the telnet
console, such as
$ /usr/bin/netscape
and it should pop up in its own window on your machine.

PS you are running X, aren't you? Just checking...

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."