Printing woes (lpd causes kernal panic - machine check)

Subject: Printing woes (lpd causes kernal panic - machine check)
From: Stephen Paullada (paullada@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 22:38:55 MST

I set up the printer following along the install YDL 1.2.1 routine. I tried
printing a test page which caused a complete lock-up of the system. On
reboot, lpd causes a "kernal panic - machine check". If I interactively
start up and say no to lpd, the server boots fine - just no printing. I
have an 8500, which, like all old macs, uses a serial port for modem and
printer. Does that mean that there's a different "/dev/" path, ie it's not
"lp0"? So...

How do I configure the server to print to a serial printer on an old world
mac?

How do I fix lpd so it doesn't explode my server everytime it starts up?

TIA Mucho! -Steve