X Window crashes-- HOW-NOT-TO?

Subject: X Window crashes-- HOW-NOT-TO?
From: philippe tapon (philippe@ufoh.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 23:42:33 MST

Since installing YDL I've had two X Window freezes--the second one was
total; I couldn't telnet in. The first one occurred while resizing
a RealAudio movie; the second, when I hit "quit" on the xfce window
manager. The last one was a deep freeze: the system refused to
altogether reboot; I had to run an fsck manually.
        I'm willing to accept crashes during installation or during upgrades or
tiwddling with root files. But for a system to (irreproducibly) bomb
out during routine user stuff is not on, I feel.
        Would any generous Linux veterans tell me where to start looking for
advice on really fine-tuning the system? I've already checked LDP and
done google searches; analyzing core dumps isn't a great fantasy of
mine, but I'm willing to do it in order to achieve a workstation that is
close to 99.99% reliable. Or am I asking for too much?

peace

philippe

iMac DV SE 1999 ed.
YDL CS 1.2.1