Re: X Window crashes-- HOW-NOT-TO?

Subject: Re: X Window crashes-- HOW-NOT-TO?
From: Robert Vogt IV (vogt@arborhost.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 00:07:30 MST

    Philippe,

> I'm willing to accept crashes during installation or during upgrades or
> tiwddling with root files. But for a system to (irreproducibly) bomb
> out during routine user stuff is not on, I feel.
> Would any generous Linux veterans tell me where to start looking for
> advice on really fine-tuning the system? I've already checked LDP and
> done google searches; analyzing core dumps isn't a great fantasy of
> mine, but I'm willing to do it in order to achieve a workstation that is
> close to 99.99% reliable. Or am I asking for too much?
    No, not really. My company runs G4 servers (all under YDL), and we have
never had a problem (not even a kernel panic). Linux is inherently
reliable, due to its design. However, your setup may be causing your
troubles:

> iMac DV SE 1999 ed.
> YDL CS 1.2.1
> X 3.3.6
> 2.4.0-test10 kernel
> xfce window manager
    I would dispense with the 2.4 kernel (this is alpha-level code) if
you're looking for reliability. Try the 2.2.17/2.2.18 kernels that can be
rsynced from penguinppc.org (use linux-pmac-stable) - these are well-built,
*tested* versions...

    I hope this helps.

                            Sincerely,

                            Robert Vogt IV
                            CEO
                            ArborHost

P.S. My PowerBook won't even boot from 2.4-test8 without going into a
kernel panic...