Re: Black screen on start up

Subject: Re: Black screen on start up
From: Jonathan Bertsch (jonathan@osu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 21:12:25 MST

For your yaboot.conf give this a try:

init-message="\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout=50
default=linux

image=hd:9,vmlinux
label=linux
root=/dev/hda11

That first section sets the startup message, then sets the time for yaboot
to boot the default, and the default sets the default, which is the next
section, the image is the kernel location, and the label is simply a name
for that set of boot configurations, then the location of the root
parition. All the default in the first section does is sets it so if you
hit enter at the yaboot promt it will boot that set of stuff defined
below, also if you do nothing in the time set in timeout it will again
boot that default.

> 4. Open Firmware settings
>

> setenv boot-device hd:,yaboot
> setenv boot-command boot

Those above commands should boot the computer directly into yaboot(which
is the linux boot loader), get rid of that comma in the first line so it
is just "setenv boot-device hd:yaboot" and after typing those two lines
and booting into linux the openfirmware settings should be saved. With
yaboot you can configure a boot script, called bootinfo, that will let you
boot into linux by holding down the spacebar before the boot chime ends(or
you can reverse the order in the bootinfo file so you can boot into mac by
holding down the spacebar). I've never used the boot script so I dont know
how, or if it will work on your system, check out:

http://devel.yellowdoglinux.com/HOWTO/pmac_dualboot-HOWTO.txt

and see if that is any help. Sorry about the lenght of that message, I'm
not one for short answers. Good luck!

--
Jonathan Bertsch
bertsch.13@osu.edu