Only 8bit color!

Subject: Only 8bit color!
From: Daniel Worthington (danielworthington@mac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 23:11:54 MST

I have a G4/400 (agp graphics) with a 15' flat panel studio display (DVI
interface - before ADC, after VGA).

The only video argument in yaboot that works is 'novideo'. Any other
setting, including ³video=aty128fb:vmode:14;cmode:24² (these corespond to
what apple says about my display as far as refresh rate goes. I *know* that
the display runs at 1024x768, and is capable of 24bit color)

This is all meaningless, since I tried every possible combination. Everytime
there is anything but 'novideo', the display's power light blinks amber. I
assume this means 'out of scan range', or something to that effect.
Nevertheless, it simply does not show anything on screen.

I have tried changing X86Config settings, but once anything is changed, X
will not start. I have tried vmode (outside X). It tells me I am running
vmode:0, depth:8.

All I really want is the depth to be above 8. The res would suck at anything
other than 1024x768 (which I already get). 8 bit depth is lame. I can't get
over this part of linux (looking like crap), and get into the good stuff.

I am sorry if this question has already been answered, but I have looked all
over for a solution already. I think my setup is fairly rare, or maybe you
all know something I don't.

Thanks,
Daniel W.