Re: Only 8bit color!

Subject: Re: Only 8bit color!
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 03:18:26 MST

Some observations ....

I have a similar problem with a conventional display and a Rage Orion card -
black screen (apart from a few lines of initial startup messages) and no
boot if the video card is enabled in any resolution at startup.

However, the Xwindows setup is independent of the setup for basic terminal
operation. So it is possible to run a high graphics resolution under X
although only 8 bit is used for terminal purposes - your email wasn't clear
on this point. Have you tried this:-

- remove the X configuration file
- boot MacOS and set the required video resolution within MacOS
- boot linux in single user mode and then run Xconfigurator

I get decent graphics under X - certainly better than 8 bit.

Hopefully XFree86 4.01 will give proper support for acceleration with the
ATI cards (and will be available from YellowDog soon?) - I'm not brave
enough to build my own.

  Iain