Re: Sound on iMac DV400

Subject: Re: Sound on iMac DV400
From: philippe tapon (philippe@ufoh.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 19:34:56 MST

> I don't have an iMac, but I remember from somewhere(this list I
> think) that cds canot play at all due to some digital hardware stuff apple
> is now using, but you can get the latest kernel from:
>
> http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/
>
> and you should be able to have system sounds(also mp3s via xmms).
> --
> Jonathan Bertsch
> bertsch.13@osu.edu

Jonathan is correct; as far as I understand, the CD player included with
the recent iMac DVs is akin to the Winmodem; it depends on Apple's
proprietary software to run.
        There seems to be no workaround yet for playing CDs directly on YDL.
AArthur has posted a how-to for using CD-read, a plug-in for the XMMS
player, to read CDs digitally (and thus play them), but I was unable to
reproduce his results. No signal comes through. I tried Cd-Read 0.8,
which compiled; I couldn't get 0.9 to compile. You can try AArthur's
method yourself, and if you'd post your results, I'd be grateful:
http://www.imaclinux.net/php/imaclinux_g_h.php3?single=18.

A ben-kernel will allow you to hear system sounds and to play MP3s
(which the iMac does very well). There is an audio player called the
alsa-player (http://www.alsaplayer.org) which is quite promising, though
at the moment it only translates the CD sound into barely recognizable
static. That, I'm afraid, is the state of the situation at the moment.

philippe