Built-in Ethernet on PM9600, CS 2.6.1

Subject: Built-in Ethernet on PM9600, CS 2.6.1
From: Larry Sampas (larry@larrysampas.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 13:08:15 MST

I've installed CS 2.6.1 a couple of times now with the same result -- the
built-in Ethernet picks up an address from my DHCP server, but refuses to do
anything else via eth0. Pinging any other machine from that one, and pinging
that machine both fail.

When investigating with Etherpeek, I found that the ARP broadcast for the HW
address of that IP number goes unanswered. When pinging out to other
machines, it sends out an ARP request that gets an ARP response. It then
fails to respond to the ARP reponse, and sends another ARP request... almost
like it doesn't understand its HW address.

Pinging 127.0.0.1 and the actual IP number of the machine works from the
machine. All the appropriate lights on the switch are on, I've traded cables
and ports several times.

It works fine when booted into MacOS 9.1 -- with a network and everything.

It would be worth it to get a new Ethernet card to get the thing running. Is
there one that's supported on the distro CD install that I can buy? Or do I
have to find some source and compile it into the kernel myself?