RE: Slightly off-topic -- trash score RS6000 help!

Subject: RE: Slightly off-topic -- trash score RS6000 help!
From: Steve Kurlin (skurlin@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 05:08:56 MST

Hi Nathan

I can help you out on this machine. First thing I need to know is
exactly what the Model is.

There should be a 4 digit number on the box somewhere. It might look
something like this : 7012-320 87-804554 or similar. This will tell me
exactly what it is.

Secondly if you want to run Linux, you will need to make sure it is a
PCI bus machine. If it is an older Micro-channel machine it will not run
any Linux distributions.

By the sounds of your description of the unit it probably is a PCI
machine especially if it is a PPC 604e at 375Mhz. The model number will
tell all.

I can send you ISO images of another O/S for it. It is IBM AIX. It will
be a few releases old to avoid any possible copyright laws. Depending on
the model you can run up Windows NT on it as well. I have a special
diskette that allows it to install. You will need a WINDOWS NT CD.

IBM unfortunately have only a handful of Video cards that work in them.
Again I need that elusive model number from the unit to exactly help you
locate a video card.

You can run it up without a Video screen. All you need is to attach a
serial terminal to COM PORT 1. You can use a Wndows PC running
Hyperterminal and make a cable to run between the COM PORT on the
RS/6000 and your PC. If you want I can help you with that as well. AIX
works well without a Video card. I have not run up Linux without a video
card but I believe it does work.

Anyway see if you can find this number on the box and let me know what
you want to run on the box and how. This will help me send you the info
you need.

They are good units to tinker with.

Steve Kurlin