Re: 2.4.12-benh0 on Powerbook G4 (Titanium) 500

Subject: Re: 2.4.12-benh0 on Powerbook G4 (Titanium) 500
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 19:22:23 MST

On Thu, 01 Nov 2001 10:58:43 -0800
Chip Witt <chip.witt@westwave.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with playing (or not
> being able to) music CDs. Obviously, this makes the machine less fun as
> a multimedia machine.

Hello,
        I've never tried this under YDL and don't have my CD player around to slip into the media bay for testing, but under Linux/PPC, playing audio CDs worked on my Powerbook G3 Firewire (Pismo) with the following command:

cdparanoia 1- -Z - | play -t wav - <--- don't forget the "-" at the end!

        Since it was cumbersome to type, I set up an alias like this in my .bashrc (assuming you run bash as your default shell):

alias gocd='cdparanoia 1- -Z - | play -t wav -'

I hope that works for you. The lack of track selection isn't too good, but it was the best solution I had found when I looked almost a year ago.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm