Re: 2.4.12-benh0 on Powerbook G4 (Titanium) 500

Subject: Re: 2.4.12-benh0 on Powerbook G4 (Titanium) 500
From: Chip Witt (chip.witt@westwave.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 09:48:03 MST

Actually, The problem was specific to the drive needing ATAPI SCSI emulation to function properly. I will describe what worked to fix the problem...

In /etc/yaboot.conf I added the "append" line:

<snipped normal stuff from top of file>

# yaboot images
image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda4
    append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Then I had to make the /dev/sr0 device:

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
chgrp disk /dev/sr0
chmod 666 /dev/sr0 # so anyone can use

Fixed the symlink to /dev/cdrom:

ln -sf /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom

Voila! Music for the masses (and ripping too). The only thing I've found to be wonky about this particular solution is, unlike on my x86 laptop with traditional ATAPI control, ripping CD tracks to .wav prior to encoding to .mp3
(or other) results in kernel threads that are uninterruptable by user processes -- making the machine impossible to use for anything but the ripping process. I guess it's true...you can't have everything...but we're getting
closer.

Happy Hacking!

CW

--

Chip Witt Sr. Network Administrator Westwave Communications

463 Aviation Blvd. Santa Rosa, CA 95403 (V) 707-284-7237 (F) 707-591-9413 (E) chip.witt@westwave.com

"Today, wealth is no longer best defined as ownership of land, goods, capital or labor. It is knowledge and knowing how to use it."