Startup problem on an iMac

Subject: Startup problem on an iMac
From: Oscar Jack Marsh (oscarmarsh@mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:23:31 MST

I need to clarify my problem, so:
I've only been running Linux for 2 weeks.
My Mac is an iMac DV tangerine, the version of YDL is 2.0. I'm on Mac OS 9.1.

Whilst I was logged in as root, I entered the following in a terminal:

/sbin/macos/

I know I shouldn't have done this, because it rebooted the computer
and restarted into Mac OS, providing *no* Linux options. It simply
flashed white and booted into Mac OS, like a normal Macintosh.
Normally, Linux will flash a pinkish-orange screen then provide a
white-text-on-black CLI, prompting Linux, Mac or CD booting. By
default I set it at installation to boot Mac OS after a pause.

So that's:
- Mac boots into Mac OS, not Linux
- No orange screen but instead a white screen
- No options to get into Linux

I can't get into Linux! Well, I can - by booting from the "Tasty
Morsels" CD (The Installation disc won't boot and reads very
sluggishly for some reason - it might be scratched, not sure)

Does anyone know how to reverse this situation? I'm new to Linux but
I'm learning. Apologies if this isn't clear enough for anyone and any
help at all would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Oscar Marsh

http://homepage.mac.com/oscarmarsh/
Ya basta!