Re: X server screen resolution

Subject: Re: X server screen resolution
From: John Norair (jnorair@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 19:50:41 MST

This is just one of the many reasons why I am very close to completely
removing Linux from my mac. It seems that Linux was only meant to be
run on a very plain-and-simple x86 unless you want to spend hours of
pain and misery trying to get it to work with only half-assed
documentation to guide you.

If you use Xconfigurator, you should set the resolution options to be
only 1024x768. In my case, there's a little bit of overlap/scrolling,
but it's better than before. When I try to use the specific setting for
my actual monitor model, it doesn't work at all (out of scan range).

Despite the fact that "I can," it's annoying as hell to get Xserver
setup correctly. I wrote my own modeline to remove the scrolling
effect, but then it stopped working after I built a new kernel. Now my
Xserver doesn't work at all.

The bottom line is that, if you have decent hacking/programming skill,
you could replace Aqua with XFree in OS X with less aggravation and
wasted weekends than it will take you to get Linux fully functional.
And in the end you'll have a more robust OS that works 1000 times better
on powermacs.

Very sorry for the rant, but it was a long time coming.

Good Luck,
John Norair