Re: X server screen resolution

Subject: Re: X server screen resolution
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 20:52:08 MST

John Norair's bits of Fri, 2 Nov 2001 translated to:

>This is just one of the many reasons why I am very close to completely
>removing Linux from my mac. It seems that Linux was only meant to be
>run on a very plain-and-simple x86 unless you want to spend hours of
>pain and misery trying to get it to work with only half-assed
>documentation to guide you.

As a general statement, this is nonsense. I have three different
Macs running YDL 2.0, and the combined install/configure time for
all three is maybe two hours. Most of that time was spent waiting
for packages to be copied.

I also disagree with your opinion of Linux documentation.
Granted, Linux documentation is definitely not as user-friendly
and convenient as some other types; but in terms of detail and
completeness, it is outstanding. Yes, you do occasionally have
to sift through some half-assed bits, however the same can be
said for most types of documentation.

>The bottom line is that, if you have decent hacking/programming skill,
>you could replace Aqua with XFree in OS X with less aggravation and
>wasted weekends than it will take you to get Linux fully functional.
>And in the end you'll have a more robust OS that works 1000 times better
>on powermacs.

Again, this is nonsense as a general statement. I have managed
maybe four or five hours of non-trivial work under OS X (10.1),
which has resulted in the system twice becoming so hosed that I
had to restart the machine. Which is better is entirely dependent
on the user's needs; for *my* typical needs, there is no doubt
that Linux is far superior (and far more robust). If OS X is
more suited to your needs, then by all means use it instead of
Linux.

>Very sorry for the rant, but it was a long time coming.

Sorry you have found your experience with PPC Linux so
frustrating. But I doubt that your experiences are the norm. I
doubt equally that mine are the norm. But I feel it is unfair
for you to imply that anyone planning to use PPC Linux is in for
"hours of pain and misery" with nothing more than "half-assed
documentation" as a guide. All to have an operating system that
is a "1000 times" worse that OS X.

Jim