Re: X server screen resolution

Subject: Re: X server screen resolution
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 07:12:58 MST

On 11/02/01, at 08:52 PM, Jim Cole <greyleaf@yggdrasill.net> said:

>Granted, Linux documentation is definitely not as user-friendly
>and convenient as some other types; but in terms of detail and
>completeness, it is outstanding.

Unless you are running something other than "a very plain-and-simple x86". I have been frustrated several times by misleading or nonexistant documentation with "fringe" distros like LinuxPPC and YDL. I understand why this has happened, but that doesn't get my system running.

A case in point is PCMCIA support in YDL. It's there, but the installation doesn't set it up, so it must be done manually. You won't hear me gripe about that, I've been around Linux long enough to expect that sort of thing, especially on a system as unusual as a Linux Powerbook. Unfortunately, the only documentation with the package is written for a compile/install on an x86, has little relevance to a binary install on a Powerbook, and some of it is just plain wrong in this admittedly special case.

We must remember that all Linux documentation is, like Linux and all its programs, written by the users. John, if you find an incomplete or misleading doc, one of your options is to figure out the problem, fix it, then write a How-To for the YDL web site. Then you will stop being part of the problem and become part of the solution.

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
We are Linux.
Resistance is an indication that you missed the point.
    -Brandon S. Allbery