Re: Easy way to set up Samba and NETATALK?

Subject: Re: Easy way to set up Samba and NETATALK?
From: Wes Plate (wes@plate.net)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 13:07:55 MST

On 10/28/01 2:35 PM,
"yellowdog-general-digest-help@lists.yellowdoglinux.com" wrote:

>> Second, if they're not installed, is there an easy method for getting these
>> services up and running? If not, I can hire my UNIX-savvy father to do the
>> installs for me, but I'd prefer not to.
>
> Mount the YDL CD, install the Samba and netatalk RPMs. As root in
> the directory containing RPMs on the CD:
>
> rpm -Uvh samba-1.x.x.ppc.rpm
>
> (substitute the real name of course -- you'll have to go through the
> directory and find the relevant RPMs)
>
> If you run into dependency errors, you'll have to install any RPMs
> needed to satisfy them. You can usually figure out what needs to get
> installed from the error.

Thanks.

We realized that for now, Netatalk would be fine. Samba doesn't have to
happen yet.

But we're having a BEAR of a time getting it running. Even my father, who
knows UNIX like nobody's business finally threw up his hands.

I've done many Google searches, and good HOW-TO INSTALL documentation seems
to be very elusive.

Anyone know of a good document explaining how to get netatalk up and running
on YellowDog 2?

--
Wes Plate
 Automatic Duck, Inc.