wallstreet/lombard question

Subject: wallstreet/lombard question
From: Ron Smith (ronsmith28@home.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 14:55:52 MST

I've been lurking on this list for several months and I'm glad someone
brought up the G3 PowerBooks. I have not been able to get a workable
installation of Linux on mine (Black Keyboard, Wallstreet). It's the
same problem every time. I've gotten further with YDL 2.0/2.1 I still
have video problems.

I haven't been able to get the SuSE installer to run at all. I was able
to get the YDL 2.1 GUI installer to run and install YDL. The display was
so faint that I was only able to do it because I know the setup sequence
and was able to barely make out the parts of the screen I needed to
click on. After I install and reboot is where the problem I *always* run
into at some point of trying to put linux on the machine.

In the top right corner is the penguin and text scrolling down. However,
about halfway down the screen, centered is another penguin and the same
scrolling text! Between the display being so dim and the two displays
wrapping around each other, I cannot make out what the messages are, but
this is where it stays.

1. Yes, I use the kernel append video=atybf:vmode:10
2. The is where the installer for SuSE dies... it doesn't actually start
the installer
3. When I try the text only YDL installer the display goes blank
4. I have tried all the combinations I know of for the "force video" and
"no video driver" in BootX
5. The display works fine in Mac OS 9, I booted into it to adjust the
brightness/contrast, but that didn't help the linux display.

I've had great success on my "new world" machines, a non-firewire iBook
SE, and a G4/500DP (although no SMP yet). I would be happy to just get
this Wallstreet runnin linux in a text mode, I don't need to run X on it
for my purposes.

Any suggestions?

-Ron