Re: Easy way to set up Samba and NETATALK?

Subject: Re: Easy way to set up Samba and NETATALK?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 16:02:55 MST

At 12:07 PM -0800 11/3/01, Wes Plate wrote:

>Thanks.
>
>We realized that for now, Netatalk would be fine. Samba doesn't have to
>happen yet.
>
>But we're having a BEAR of a time getting it running. Even my father, who
>knows UNIX like nobody's business finally threw up his hands.
>
>I've done many Google searches, and good HOW-TO INSTALL documentation seems
>to be very elusive.
>
>Anyone know of a good document explaining how to get netatalk up and running
>on YellowDog 2?

netatalk is sort of self-documented. The default configuration files
that get installed with the package have lots of comments that
explain just about everything required for normal setups. It also
has a decent set of man pages.

The configuration files all reside in /etc/atalk . Take a look at
them and see if you can't figure out what needs to be done. If you
need more information than is present in the comments, try "man
configfilename" to see if there's a man page for that configuration
file.

Once you are satisfied with the config, you need to start the daemon.
This can be done with the command:

/etc/init.d/atalk start

(Or, if it's already running and you want to force it to restart with
a new config, use "restart" instead of "start".)

If you want the AppleTalk daemon to be automatically started on boot,
you'll have to add it to your default runlevel (probably runlevel 3
or runlevel 5). This can be done through the Red Hat Control Panel's
runlevel editor, or by adding the proper symbolic link to /etc/rc3.d/
and /etc/rc5.d/ .

--
Tim Seufert