Re: Can't get YD 2.1 to install

Subject: Re: Can't get YD 2.1 to install
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 16:34:45 MST

>Speaking of partitioning, I would also /really/ try to avoid using a split
>disk, like you say you are. I don't really know if this makes theoretical
>sense, but in my experience, using a dual partitioned disk one seems to
>run into issues with the Mac driver,

Linux doesn't care about the Mac drivers, they're just extra
partitions it isn't using.

>potential bad blocks that Linux can't
>tinker with, etc.

Having Mac driver and data partitions cannot interfere with bad block
remapping in Linux. That's done within the Linux ext2 filesystem
structures, not in the partition tables.

I have been using Linux on PowerMacs for a long time (since before
there were any real distributions) and have never needed to keep Mac
partitions on separate disks. The only real pitfall I know of is if
you try to have too many partitions -- as I recall there is supposed
to be a limit of 16 partitions per block device in Linux, but I've
never run into it.

--
Tim Seufert