2 simple ?s -- smtp configuration, Open Office install

Subject: 2 simple ?s -- smtp configuration, Open Office install
From: Marc Stergionis (stermarc@home.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 17:57:31 MST

1. I know I'm probably gonna say "Doh" when I figure this out, but I
just got YDL2.0 installed and most everything works fine so far.

I am receiving mail fine (KMail) but have not been able to send. Of
course in Mac OS, configuring SMTP for use with the @home broadband
service requires you only put the word "mail" in your pop/inbound
setup field and the word "mail" in the smtp/outbound field.

This, of course, does not work in KMail. Neither does smtp.home.com
nor smtp.grtfls1.mt.home.com (what we've been given as an alternate).

What *do* I put in there??? BTW, the other smtp setup field defaults
to port 25, which I've left that way.

2. Following the instructions on the YDL site, I'm installing Open
Office. First installed the Runtime Java from the Morsels CD, then
ungzipped and ran the installer. it progressed through the sign in,
highlighted each category on the left side of the installer splash
window as it progressed ... and the install timer in the lower left
wound down. then the Installer timer went away, and there's a little
blue pulsating gradient in the lower left. If I try to close the
installer window, I get the message "If you close the window now,
Open Office will not be completely installed and will not run." (or
something like that).

This has been going on for over an hour. I do have a really slow
Power Mac clone, and the Process Management utility reports that
OpenOffice60.bin is getting 99.99 percent of cpu time. And the
computer acts like it does too!!

Does Open Office take an inordinately lo-o-o-nnn-n-g time to install?
I've already aborted the install once (by closing the window) and
trashed the Open Office folder that was created in my User directory
.. then tried the install again. Same deal.

Or is something else wrong?

Thanks

-ms

--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis