Re: cdrom drive (round two)

Subject: Re: cdrom drive (round two)
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 22:20:42 MST

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Mark Brethen wrote:
>
> > Please help! I've installed YDL 2.1 and can't seem to be able to mount my
> > internal cdrom. At bootup the kernel recognizes the device:
> >
> > hda: MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> > ide0 at 0xd3a85000-0xd3a85007,0xd3a85160 on irq 13
> > hda: Enabling MultiWord DMA 1
> > hda: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
> > Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> >
> > I've read in the archives that I must have the CD recognized as a scsi device
> > using the kernel command line argument "hda=ide-scsi". However, I did a lsmod
> > and the ide-scsi module isn't listed. Am I on the right track? Where can I
> > find the ide-scsi module?
>
> lsmod will only list modules currently inserted into the kernel. Try
> (as root) /sbin/insmod ide-scsi
>
> You can add append hda=ide-scsi to teh correct section in yaboot.conf to
> make this happen at eveyy boot (don't remember where exactly.. it's late
> and I'm on the Dell box whilst the PowerBook sleeps downstairs..)

Why does it need the ide-scsi module to mount? You should only need the
ide-scsi module to do CD Burning. Or -possibly- to watch DVD's ... Or
perhaps it is a strange device.

Have you tried, from the command line, "mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom" ? You
might need to add "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom" or "mount -t hfs
/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom" depending ...

If you do need the ide-scsi module, look at the end of the `dmesg` output
after doing the insmod.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net