Re: Saga of yup update (sortof) from YDL 2.0 to 2.1

Subject: Re: Saga of yup update (sortof) from YDL 2.0 to 2.1
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 18:02:57 MST

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Bill Fink wrote:

> I managed to upgrade my system from YDL 2.0 to 2.1 using yup together
> with some manual ftp and rpm steps, so I thought I would document what
> I did in case anyone else is interested.
>
> First, it's important to note that the YDL 2.1 distribution on
> ftp.yellowdoglinux.com is totally messed up at the moment (the
> fuji 2.1 ISO image is severely truncated and there are no YDL 2.1
> RPMS available). However, some of the mirrors are fine, and I
> chose to use ftp.ibiblio.org. Here are the steps I took to upgrade
> from YDL 2.0 to 2.1:

I've just completed a "yup update" to 2.1 as well.

I set the mirror to ibiblio; changed 2.0 to 2.1 in yup.conf, and then just
did "yup update".

It got a big list of stuff to add/delete/upgrade, and I said yes.

I'm on ISDN, so I then went to bed. It was finished by the time I got up,
a few hundred MB later.

I'm not using the kernel-source RPM, (I'm just using a benh rsync tree) so
that wasn't a problem for me. The mozilla upgrade gave python errors,
though, so I un-installed all the mozilla RPM's and re-installed them
after the update completed.

There were a few "directory couldn't be deleted - wasn't empty" errors
during the upgrade process, but I think those are fairly safely ignored.

After the install, I didn't have an /etc/yup.conf ... I had a .rpmsave and
a .rpmnew, though.

Other than that, everything "just worked".

But I don't notice any significant changes, either. Newer versions of
software, some nice stuff in KDE, but it's 90% the same. Unless you're
having problems, I wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

Congratulations to all involved for a job well done, and thank you for
your effort. (Dan!) YDL is the most comfortably usable out-of-the-box
distribution that I've used, x86 or PPC.