YDL 2.1 ipchains not working

Subject: YDL 2.1 ipchains not working
From: Ronald Hale-Evans (rwhe@ludism.org)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 20:13:12 MST

I just upgraded from YDL 2.0 to 2.1 with some excellent help from this
list, and everything looks super, with one main exception: I can't (or
rather WON'T) get on the Internet because on boot, I get hundreds of
messages, all reading

  ipchains: Protocol not available.

In short, ipchains seems not be working at all, so I don't have a
firewall. I'm running the 2.4 kernel that came with the YDL 2.1
upgrade, and the associated ipchains package. The rules in my
ipchains setup script, run at boot time, look something like this:

  ipchains -A output -p tcp -s $MONEYPENNY www -d $ANY $UNPRIV -j ACCEPT

where:

$MONEYPENNY = my computer's ip address
$ANY = 0/0
$UNPRIV = 1024:65535

This is all pretty standard. Has the format for ipchains commands
changed with the new kernel? I checked the new man page, and it
doesn't seem to have. So what's the problem?

Thanks,

Ron H-E

--
         Ron Hale-Evans ... rwhe@ludism.org & rwhe@apocalypse.org
           Center for Ludic Synergy, Seattle Cosmic Game Night,